New Web Site Brings On-line Support to New York State Charities

Release date: September 28, 2004
Williamsburg, Va., and New York City—NYCharities.org, a Web site dedicated to increasing the flow of philanthropic dollars to charities in New York State, has been launched in cooperation with GuideStar, the national database of nonprofit information.

NYCharities.org is a free Web portal where donors can find information on more than 60,000 charities in the state, contribute to those organizations on-line, and find volunteer opportunities. The site is powered by customized versions of the GuideStar database and search engine.

"We are delighted to collaborate with NYCharities.org," said Bob Ottenhoff, GuideStar's president and CEO. "Donors can use NYCharities.org to find nonprofits doing the work they want to support, then donate to those organizations through the site's safe, secure on-line donation system. Charities of all sizes can reach out to new supporters through NYCharities.org. They can receive on-line donations either by posting NYCharities.org's donation button on their Web sites or sending donors to www.nycharities.org. We welcome NYCharities.org as our newest partner and wish every success for both NYCharities.org and the nonprofits it serves."

An e-ticketing tool enables charities to use the site to sell tickets to their fundraising events. Charities use the tools on NYCharities.org at no charge and receive 97 percent of every donation made to them through the site. Although the remaining 3 percent helps offset the cost of each on-line transaction, NYCharities.org makes no profit from these transactions.

"We are delighted to provide this service in cooperation with GuideStar," said Cristine Cronin, NYCharities.org's president. "Together, we are providing technology that gives New York charities large and small equal access to tools that will enhance their ability to attract donations from new audiences. Technology expertise and upkeep is easiest for larger, wealthier nonprofits. Most charities in the state, however, operate on $400,000 a year or less, making it difficult for smaller organizations to build traffic to their Web sites effectively. NYCharities.org provides a stable on-line support system that enables struggling nonprofits to concentrate on their missions while giving donors access to the latest Internet tools through which to contribute money and time."

About NYCharities.org

NYCharities.org is dedicated to helping people and causes in the State of New York by providing easy-to-use technology to increase charitable giving. It has applied for but not yet received a determination from the Internal Revenue Service that it is exempt from income tax pursuant to Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

About GuideStar

GuideStar, www.guidestar.org, offers information about the programs and finances of 1.7 million IRS-recognized charitable organizations. GuideStar powers many on-line giving systems and distributes both free and subscription-based nonprofit data to grantmakers, nonprofits, donors, government charity regulators, and professionals serving the sector. To find out more about GuideStar services, go to www.guidestar.org.

News Contact

Suzanne E. Coffman
Director of Communications
757-229-4631, ext. 27