Washington, D.C., and Williamsburg, Va.—GuideStar, the leading provider of nonprofit information, today announced the launch of Gov@GuideStar, a powerful new suite of search tools customized for government professionals.
"More than 15,000 government users already rely on GuideStar, and they've told us that they need tools that are powerful, easy to use, and that will help them make better decisions concerning the nonprofit sector," said Robert Ottenhoff, president of GuideStar. "Gov@GuideStar was designed specifically for federal, state, and local government grantmakers, regulators, policy analysts, and others who need quick and accurate information about nonprofit organizations."
Gov@GuideStar features three on-line paid search packages designed to meet the needs of a variety of government agencies. Discounts are available for combinations of packages and for multiple users within an agency. The offerings are:
Simplify due diligence with one search. GovGateway offers:
- One-click verification of a nonprofit's exempt status
- Access to current information from IRS Publication 78
- Descriptions of a nonprofit's mission, programs, and activities
- Up to 8 years of official IRS Forms 990
- Up to 8 years of customized GuideStar financial records
- Documents provided by a nonprofit to demonstrate best practices
GovGateway Plus GovInsights
GovGateway plus GovInsights supplements GovGateway with powerful search tools that:
- Provide greater detail for every search
- Retrieve detailed information on a nonprofit's performance
- Drill down into IRS Forms 990 and 990-PF for important disclosures
- Track private foundation support for every nonprofit
- Access key performance ratios
- Organize data in comprehensive report pages
- Create dynamic charts and graphs to analyze performance trends
GovGateway Plus CompInsights
GovGateway plus CompInsights supplements GovGateway with tools that:
- Access information on executive and board member compensation
- Verify reported compensation from official IRS filings
- Reveal interconnections between organizations
- Access compensation data within subsector groups for best practices comparisons
- Track information pertaining to individuals and organizations
Both GuideStar and Gov@GuideStar operate from proprietary databases that combine all publicly available information with data furnished voluntarily by charities, foundations, and other nonprofits.
"With more than 950,000 entities qualifying for 501(c)(3) exempt status, and in a sector with more than $1 trillion in annual revenue, the need for transparency and confidence in the system is obvious," said Ottenhoff. "The virtue of this sector is that most entities themselves believe that the better the available information, the better for everyone.
"With Gov@GuideStar, it will now be easier than ever for government decision makers to scan the available universe and build even more confidence into the system."
Gov@GuideStar is a service of GuideStar. GuideStar, www.guidestar.org, connects people and organizations with information on the programs and finances of more than 1.5 million IRS-recognized nonprofits.
News Contact: Suzanne E. Coffman
Director of Communications
(757) 229-4631, ext. 27