The Leading Source of Nonprofit Information Discusses Strategies for a Second Nonprofit Information Revolution
What: GuideStar recently released GuideStar 2020, its new strategic plan. During its next Impact Call, GuideStar's thought leaders will reveal how GuideStar plans to build the information scaffolding for social change and how it can help ensure that the nonprofit sector is capable of tackling the great challenges of our time.
GuideStar's Impact Calls quickly and proactively provide results to constituents and begin a systematic dialogue that encourages data-driven decision making across the nonprofit sector. Join them as they host their third Impact Call to redefine what transparency means to philanthropy as well as discuss their second quarter financial and programmatic outcomes, new developments, and lessons learned.
Who: Leaders of GuideStar USA, Inc., the leading source of nonprofit information:
- Jacob Harold, GuideStar's president and CEO, will discuss recent developments in GuideStar's collection of nonprofit financial and impact data, products, and lessons learned.
- James Lum, GuideStar's CFO, will provide a brief overview of the organization's second quarter financial results.
- Lindsay J.K Nichols, GuideStar's marketing and communications team senior director, will frame the call, introduce the speakers, and moderate the discussion between presenters and call participants.
Where: Register online today by clicking here, or by visiting http://npo.gs/impactpage. Invite your networks to attend by using our promotional tool kit with turn-key content: http://npo.gs/GSIC3PromoToolKit
When: Monday, August 11, 2014, 2 p.m.-3 p.m. EDT
Why: The nonprofit sector is incredibly important, contributing more than $800 billion to the U.S. economy and making up 5.5 percent of the nation's Gross Domestic Product. Nonprofits employ the third-largest workforce in America, behind retail and manufacturing, and the nonprofit sector continues to grow at a rate that surpasses both the business and government sectors.
Yet philanthropy is behind most U.S. sectors because of the lack of real-time feedback loops. GuideStar's Impact Call is meant to reframe nonprofit transparency to include information that is more timely, interactive, inclusive, and comprehensive. Loosely based on the quarterly earnings calls held by publicly owned companies, the Impact Call is open to everyone and will be the first step in addressing these new transparency definitions:
- Timely—It takes almost a year for nonprofit results to become widely available through IRS Forms 990. That's just too long. GuideStar is holding its Impact Call fewer than 60 days after the quarter's end.
- Interactive—The Impact Call will be a dialogue, rather than a one-way conversation. Participants will have an opportunity to question GuideStar in real time.
- Inclusive—Everyone is invited to the Impact Call, not just GuideStar's funders but anyone with a stake and interest in its results.
- Comprehensive—Finances are only one piece of a much larger picture when it comes to nonprofit results. GuideStar's Impact Call also includes reporting on programmatic and operational metrics as well as a broader discussion of our strategy.
GuideStar, www.guidestar.org, is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that connects people and organizations with information on the programs, finances, and impact of more than 1.8 million IRS-recognized nonprofits. GuideStar serves a wide audience inside and outside the nonprofit sector, including individual donors, nonprofit leaders, grantmakers, government officials, academic researchers, and the media.