Profile Update Resources
Great—you’ve been granted access to your organization’s profile and you’ve filled it out to a participation level.
We’re glad you asked. Now, the to-do is to make sure your commitment to transparency is solid with up-to-date information. You’re constantly making progress toward your mission—make sure your profile shows it.
We’ve broken down the full GuideStar Nonprofit Profile to help make it even easier to perform routine maintenance on your profile.
What do you need to update?
- IRS Form 990--latest and any historical 990s you'd like to share
- Annual Report--latest and any historical annual reports you'd like to share
- Audited Financial Statements or other forms of financial data for your organization--latest and any historical information you'd like to share
- Up-to-date contact information for your organization
- Board member information
- Leadership information and biographies
- Listing of social media handles
- Mission Statement
- Program information: names, descriptions, areas served, and population served
- Documents to answer the 5 Charting Impact questions
Helpful to also have
- Grant applications that detail recent organization progress
- Other public documents that detail recent organization progress
- Recent photos and URLs to videos uploaded to YouTube
- Colleague account information if adding new managers
- Organization-approved general messaging
- Recent organization SWOT analysis
Who should update what?
The GuideStar Nonprofit Profile is created to be easy—no matter how many in your organization are tasked with updating it.
If you happen to have a colleague who can help, great! Here’s a possible breakdown of how everyone can contribute. The good news is that if you're flying solo, a quick conversation with your colleagues in these areas will still make the process easier and faster.
When should you update?
The first thing to know is that your organization’s participation level expires 24 months after your last update. So, you certainly aren’t required to come back and perform any updates once you achieve a participation level, but… did you know more than 7 million individuals view our site a year? That’s a lot of people—you’ll want to make sure that what they are seeing is the most up-to-date information available.
Below is a breakdown of some routine maintenance you can perform on your organization's profile. If you don’t have any updates to share at each given time, not to worry—just skip it.
Every 3 months
Verify that mailing address, primary contact, website, social media handles, and phone number are all up-to-date
Verify that all appropriate individuals are listed as Assigned Managers—should anyone be added? Removed?
Update profile with recent pictures, videos, or other documents
Every 6 months
Update Board Member and Board Leadership Practices information, if applicable
Update Programs information, if applicable
Verify that leadership information is up-to-date
Go through 3 month updates above
Every 12 months
Upload your most recent Form 990 and audited financial statements (or fill out the financial information fields)
Upload your latest Annual Report
Update Platinum metrics, if applicable
Update Charting Impact progress, if applicable
Update diversity data, if applicable
Go through 3 and 6 month updates above